Halloween is almost here again. It is an exciting time of year for kids of all ages.
Before you get your “SPOOK” on please help ensure that we all have a safe
holiday, and follow the Halloween safety tips provided by the Chadron Police
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children on their
- When shopping for costumes, wigs and accessories look for and purchase those with a label
- Because masks can limit or block eyesight, consider non-toxic makeup and decorative hats
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes
- Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes and Trick-or-Treat bags for greater
- Obtain flashlights with fresh batteries for all children and their escorts.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable to you.
- Agree on a specific time when they should return home.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Stay in a group and communicate where they will be going.
- Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
- If no sidewalk is available, walk at the far edge of the roadway facing oncoming traffic.
- Never cut across yards or use alleys.
- Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks. Never cross between parked cars
- Don't assume the right of way. Motorists may have trouble seeing Trick-or-Treaters. Just
- Carry a cell phone for quick communication.
- Teach children how to call 911 if they have an emergency.
- Law enforcement authorities should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful
- A good meal prior to parties and trick-or-treating will discourage youngsters from filling up on
Wait until children are home to sort and check treats. Though tampering is rare, a responsible
adult should closely examine all treats and throw away any spoiled, unwrapped or suspicious
If you have any questions, please contact the Chadron Police Department or School
Resource Officer Aron Chrisman at 308-432-0510.