On behalf of our school district, I want to thank Mrs. Hinrichs for the training and hard work that she put in to this award for our school!
The following is a summary written by Mrs. Hinrichs outlining the primary uses for this grant:
From Mrs. Hinrichs:
The grant is called the EducationQuest College Access Grant and provides funding to Nebraska high schools that seek to increase their college-going rate. High schools are funded for four years with a goal to increase their college-going rate by 10 percentage points. We received a $20,000 award ($5,000 for each of the next four years). They are awarded every two years through a competitive application process and we got one!
Certain activities are required:
- · Visit a college campus
- · Attend a College Fair or Educational Planning Program
- · Take the ACT, SAT or equivalent
- · Attend a financial aid presentation
- · Complete the FAFSA
- · Find and apply for scholarships
- · Apply to at least one college
- · Encourage family involvement
- · Develop community partnerships
- · Provide info about Advanced Placement and/or dual enrollment
We had to pick a “target” audience……I chose our Free/Reduced kids because I feel like they probably need the most support to get to college. We can include other students as room/funding permits.
Some of the things I have planned:
- Take all sophomores up to CSC. We will have brunch or breakfast, tour the dorms and have a faculty member discuss the benefits of continuing education.
- Develop community partnerships. I’d like to start a formalized speaker series where students can eat lunch while listening to a community member.
- Continue field trips. For example, we already take a trip to WNCC in Scottsbluff to visit their campus. On the way down, we stop at Alliance to visit the Powerline Program. If we have interest, I’d like to add a trip to Sidney for kids who are interested in Airframe Maintenance and Cosmetology.
- Continue our safety net, using Western Community Health Resources for students with additional challenges.
- Many of the things that are required are already in place – thank goodness!!!!